Saturday, January 24, 2004

Thoughts on My Sense of Humor

Every so often, I wonder about where certain aspects of myself came from, and one in particular is my sense of humor. My dad's sense of humor is generally corny and he loves humor that twists around words to make them say something else. For example, Pokemon becomes Poke-E-Mone (Mone, of course, meaning my sister Samone). My mom doesn't joke around too much, but when she does it's a little weird. It's not weird in a bad way, but it always throws the rest of us for a loop.

When I make jokes, they are usually either corny (like Dad), weird (like Mom), or inspired. I especially do best bouncing humor off of someone else, or taking someone else's joke and extending it. My sister and I bounce jokes off each other really well. Often, she initiates and I extend. And when she stops laughing, the joke's gone too far (and I can somehow make a joke last a lot longer than it should). A recent example of this (that I can actually remember) happened when I mentioned anime in some way and my sister joked, calling me "Japanaman." I took a it a little further and sang "Japanaman can!" to the beat of "The Candyman can!"

So when you read my future comedy skits, you'll now have some background on how I got my sense of humor and how much trial and error goes into it. For the good jokes I make, I make a lot of lousy ones. I personally believe that if my sister and I sat down together, we could probably write some really funny stuff. Maybe one day it'll happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment