Saturday, January 03, 2004

Pump It Up

My mother is a Type I diabetic, meaning that she has to take insulin everyday to keep her blood sugar levels at a normal amount. A couple of days ago, she started using an insulin pump as opposed to taking shots all the time. The pump sends insulin through a tube directly into her body via a patch on her stomach. The patch has a small needle that is stuck into her body. She has to change the patch every couple of days.

So far, she and the rest of us are getting used to it. My sister and I watched her prepare the pump after she had to change the insulin cartridge. It's a little weird, but in the long run, it'll probably help her immensely. All of us have already started joking about it. My sister now occasionally calls Mom "Pumpy" and I started humming Joe Budden's song "Pump It Up" (hence the name of this post).

So here's hoping that this pump will help my mom be a little bit healthier throughout 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment