Sunday, January 18, 2004

Playing Catch Up--The Short Story

It seems the delays between my posts are getting longer. First it was 5 days and now it's 6 days. Will the next delay break a week?

First up, I finished the short story I was working on. I'm not really sure if I'll post it, since it's kind of dark. I'll spoil it for you now so don't read the rest of this post if you don't want to know.

Okay, now that you're with me, here we go. The story is about a black man standing in the cold on a corner who encounters a white man who offers his help, which is assisting in the black man's suicide. The end. It's not as simple (or as racist) as it sounds. Basically, the story takes place in a world where the poor and downtrodden have no way of getting out of their holes. No welfare, no government help...hell, the culture is as such that charity is unheard of. The corner the story takes place on is supposed to be the remains of what was once a poor urban environment. So, this story is meant to take place in a dystopia of some sort. I've had this idea in my head for a while in various forms. I wrote this story as a test for a potential series of stories that take place in this world I would call "Happy Times." I haven't quite decided if I will continue with that collection or move on to some standalone short stories. Needless to say, even though the story is written matter-of-factly, I kind of agonized over the dialogue and lines so that I would get my proper point across. Of course, the matter-of-factness could make sure people don't get my point. Ehh, I'll post if I put it to my story site and get the nasty reviews (if anyone ever gets the chance to read it).

No comments:

Post a Comment