Wednesday, November 05, 2008

New Anime Thoughts (Part Two)

Finally, here is the second part of my Fall 2008 Anime thoughts:

Yozakura Quartet: To me, this is a good example of middle-of-the-road. I watched the first episode and it wasn't bad...and it wasn't good either. The premise of the show, a group of teens protecting a town where spirits live among humans peacefully, is interesting. There's just nothing special in the execution and few things to make it stand out.

Kannagi: This show has a tired premise (boy has to deal with girl who comes out of nowhere) but it actually makes it work quite well. The opening is great but the show itself is enjoyable too. I like the gentle humor, the appealing character design and animation, and the interaction between the characters. I will definitely continue to watch this one.

Kyou no Go no Ni TV: Also known as Today in Class 5-2, I'm intrigued by this show but the jury is still out on it for me. I like slice-of-life anime so this show, with its multiple short segments per episode, caught my attention. I like the fact that the kids in this show often act like kids (the superball contest and the broom guitar scenes from the first episode are good examples). At the same time, it's not as funny as Azumanga Daioh and the light sexual comedy is a little cringe-inducing. However, I'm willing to give it a shot.

(As a side note, I watched the original OVA version of this show recently and all I have to say is...thank goodness I didn't see that one first.)

Earl and Fairy: Ladies and gentleman, I bring you the worst anime I've watched this season. I've watched my fair share of bishie-heavy anime with my sister (La Corda d'Oro, Neo Angelique) but at least those shows had decent animation, nice character designs, and good execution. This show isn't as bad as it could be but it's a step below other shows of its type. The character designs are a bit uninspired (the main male character looks like an "evil" Tamaki from Ouran) and the story isn't all that interesting. The only thing I really like about this show is the talking, drinking, two-leg-standing fairy cat. We need more of him, now.

Tytania: I haven't watched a whole lot of "space operas" so I didn't really know what to expect from this show. From I watched, it doesn't seem like it's going to be that bad. I've been intrigued by these types of shows for a while (I was very close to buying Toward The Terra sight unseen). My ultimate thoughts on the show are still out but I'm going to keep watching it unless it goes from interesting to boring.

One Outs: This is a fun show that's probably going to be a guilty pleasure for me. For the most part, I like sports anime and I like this show. The idea of mixing baseball and gambling (at least initially) is interesting and the way the show critiques elements of Japanese culture is unique. I'm looking forward to watching more.

Skip Beat: Yay! A good shoujo show this season! I've only watched the first episode so far (I'm watching this show with my sister) but it looks like it may be a winner. I like that the main character seems like the opposite of Kotoko from Itazura na Kiss. Kotoko was hard-working to get the affections of the man she loved. The girl from Skip Beat is energized to become a star as a "Screw You!" to the man she once loved and sacrificed for. This should be a very good show.

This concludes the fall 2008 anime thoughts. As I watch more of these shows, I may give an update on how I feel about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment