Tuesday, June 06, 2006

More Brief Movie Thoughts

Here are some more mini-movie reviews:

-I was pleasantly surprised by Kronk's New Groove. Most of Disney's “cheapquels” have been less than stellar. However, Kronk's New Groove was almost as much fun as The Emperor's New Groove was. The voice acting was good, the humor was still intact, and the story wasn't too bad. Maybe I won't mind these Disney direct-to-video movies if the quality keeps going up.

-However, I was a little disappointed by Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story. I guess I don't like Family Guy as much as I used to. I watched the uncensored version on DVD and while the movie had its funny parts, it wasn't all that great. I didn't really laugh at the pop culture references that much. I think I can see why Family Guy has as many detractors as fans.

-Oldboy was just...wow. It was twisted, fun, strange, and disturbing all in one. Although everyone always talks about the tooth pulling scene, the highlight for me was that long, uncut fight scene. I had never seen anything like that before with the main character fighting, pausing, and fighting again without any cuts. Also, the last half-hour of the film contained some of the most pathetic scenes I've ever seen. Not pathetic as in bad but pathetic as in “I feel really sorry for this guy.” This isn't a movie I want to watch a million times, but I certainly liked it.

-Continuing my trend of seeing remakes before originals, I watched the musical version of The Producers on DVD. I really enjoyed this movie. The cast was very good. The songs were not only good but also very funny. I loved the theatrical look of the movie and the way that it was shot. All in all, it was a great way to kill a couple of hours.

We have rented a bunch more videos. Expect yet another Brief Movie Thoughts post with thoughts on The Bad News Bears remake, Big Momma's House 2, Match Point, and The Family Stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment