Saturday, June 26, 2004

50 Funny Moments

The final movie that we rented that I watched was 50 First Dates, and it was the best of the four. I’ll admit that Adam Sandler movies for me are kind of hit-and-miss. I can’t say that I am a fan of his movies. I have liked some of his movies including Mr. Deeds, Punch-Drunk Love, and The Wedding Singer, his last collaboration with Drew Barrymore. 50 First Dates manages to be better than all those movies.

There are a lot of things I enjoyed about the movie. For one thing, I liked the characters. Adam Sandler’s character is basically a fairly normal guy who doesn’t yell and scream or act like a little kid or have a strange voice. It felt like you were seeing the way Adam Sandler probably is in real life. Drew Barrymore’s character was good as well. She is a character who has a good head on her shoulders and won’t let a simple thing like short-term memory loss get in her way. I even enjoyed Rob Schneider’s character, a guy who is kind of dumb but evidently loves his kids so as to always have them around him.

One thing I especially liked is the way they treated Drew Barrymore’s condition. It seemed fairly realistic, and (slight spoiler) they didn’t make her suddenly get better. This gave the movie a bit of underlying sadness. She will never remember anything she experiences again, no matter how happy or tragic. The movie isn’t a drama, but that simple fact gives it a little more depth.

All in all, this is a fun movie with likable characters and romance without being sappy. So far it’s two for two when it comes to Adam and Drew. They should do more movies together.

No comments:

Post a Comment