Friday, October 07, 2005

From Trois To The Gospel

When I saw the commercials for the film The Gospel, I thought the name of the writer and director looked familiar but I couldn't place why. Well, upon searching the IMDB, I figured it out. Rob Hardy, the writer and director of the film, also the one behind the infamous Trois films. His IMDB profile is here.

Now, I'm not hating on him for making such a jump. In fact, this type of thing is not unusual with filmmakers today. Robert Rodriguez released the ultra-violent Sin City in the same year as the family-friendly The Adventures Of Sharkboy And Lava Girl In 3-D. Roman Polanski, the man behind Rosemary's Baby and The Pianist, has made a version of the classic tale Oliver Twist. There are countless other examples of writers, directors, and filmmakers making films for adults as well as films for the family. What intrigued me about this situation is how dramatic the jump is. The original Trois film was rated NC-17 in its original uncut version. The Gospel is PG-rated and will likely be a film that families with older children will watch together for its uplifting message.

I have to wonder if this is an example of a filmmaker being flexible and just telling the stories he wants to tell or is it a case of someone who is saved and now actually regrets making films like Trois. I have not found any interviews with the director yet to see which is the case. Regardless of the reason, I just hope The Gospel is a good movie. It looks to have a pretty good cast and potentially a lot of good music.

No comments:

Post a Comment