Monday, February 07, 2005

Super Bowl Sunday


  • Super Bowl Sunday was a lot busier around our house than it normally is. Auntee came by and bought meat for my mom to barbecue. Meanwhile, I slept most of the afternoon, waking up just in time for Auntee to tell me that we were going to the movies at 4:00 p.m. We were initially going to see Hotel Rwanda since she hadn't seen it (I have and I reviewed it here). However, we ended up seeing Million Dollar Baby. My review will be in a separate post. As such, I missed the first quarter and about half of the second quarter of the game. Fortunately, I set a timer so I can watch what I missed later on.


  • Well, this year's Super Bowl halftime show was nice and safe...and boring. Sir Paul McCartney really wasn't all that interesting. I sat there with my mother and aunt and we just talked right through the show. I understand that the NFL wanted a show that would be wardrobe malfunction-free, but there are several acts they could've used instead. I would have loved to see Prince, for example. Since he's become a Jehovah's Witness, he no longer curses. His Musicology shows were family-friendly. He has a huge staple of hits and his live shows are dynamic. I still remember his great performance with Beyonce that opened up last year's Grammys. Also, The Rolling Stones could've been a great act. And with a new album out now, U2 could have easily been a good choice. Actually, some of the acts from the pregame festivities like Black Eyed Peas, Earth, Wind, and Fire, and Alicia Keys all were Super Bowl halftime worthy. I hope the NFL remembers that safe doesn't have to be bland.


  • As we watched the game, all of us were rooting for the Philadelphia Eagles for a number of reasons. The biggest reason is that we have a connection of sorts to Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb (and it's not because he's from Dolton, a Chicago suburb not very far from where I live). My father was a childhood friend of Donovan's father, Sam McNabb. The two of them were good friends, grew up together on the south side of Chicago, and attended the same elementary and high schools. My dad hasn't talked to his friend in a while, but they do stay in touch. To this day, my dad has never selfishly prodded his friend for so much as a ticket to an Eagles game. Even though I have yet to meet Donovan or his father, I was very happy to see him in the Super Bowl. I wish the Eagles had won instead of the Patriots, but I'm confident that the team can make it to the Super Bowl again.


No comments:

Post a Comment