Monday, July 26, 2004

I Have A Job!...For Now

Well, anyone who has read this blog (or even my profile) knows that I have not been able to find a job for a while. However, that time is now over. I now have a job!

There is an interesting story behind all this. You see, back when I gave my speech at my church, my dad and I met an actor who has appeared in several films. He had been attending the church for a while and liked my speech. A couple of weeks later, my dad saw him again at McDonald’s (for the famous Hamburger/Cheeseburger day). He told him about my job search and the man told my dad that he would get back to him in a couple of days with some potential prospects.

On Friday, I got a call from him with news that I was going to be meeting with Mrs. Jacqueline Jackson (the wife of Rev. Jesse Jackson). Apparently, he is very good friends with the Jackson family. It was very short notice as the meeting with her was that next morning. She was getting ready to go to the Democratic National Convention, so it would’ve been difficult to schedule something later. However, I got ready and went to the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition headquarters on Saturday morning.

The interview went on a little later than expected, but it was interesting to say the least (more on that later). At the end, I was hired to work in her office on what is essentially a trial basis (or an apprenticeship). I would work three days next week, beginning on Monday for roughly eight hours a day. I would get paid for my time there (but no overtime). If everything works out, I could have an actual position there. I could find out by the end of next week if I have a semi-permanent job there.

So, I have a job. I am definitely thankful. Even if it only lasts for those three days, it still means I get a little more experience to put onto my resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment