Friday, June 04, 2004

Yoko Kanno Fans Unite!

I’m a big fan of Yoko Kanno’s work, from Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne to Wolfs Rain and Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex. She is probably the best composer working in anime today. She’s inventive, versatile, and at times just plain brilliant.

So, what are my favorite works by her? Well, for starters the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks. I loved the music in the show, and it’s the first Yoko Kanno soundtrack I heard. It’s a great mix of pop, jazz, and bluesy songs. Another of my faves is Escaflowne, especially the TV soundtracks. The soundtrack is befitting to the epic fantasy love story that Escaflowne is. I also really like the first soundtrack to Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex. It’s a great selection of electronic pop. However, my personal favorite Yoko Kanno soundtrack is, by far, Arjuna. I swear that I had never heard music like that before or since. It’s ethereal, organic, and immensely appealing. I really wish I liked the show it came from. I thought the show was gorgeous but lacking in its core story (in addition to being too preachy). Despite that, the music fit it perfectly.

I think the anime companies have caught on to how popular Yoko Kanno’s music is. Geneon has released the first Arjuna soundtrack and will re-release the Macross Plus soundtracks. They also released a limited edition Cowboy Bebop CD-Box. Bandai is bringing over the soundtracks to Wolfs Rain and Ghost in The Shell Stand Alone Complex along with the shows. I only own the two Macross Plus soundtracks, but I will definitely buy any other soundtracks of hers that they release in the U.S.

In the meantime, my download of Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex OST 2 has finished. So, I can now listen to some new Yoko Kanno goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment