Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Academy Award Comments

-Wow, they nominated Keisha Castle-Hughes for Whale Rider. Even though I liked the movie, I think it was very overrated. She did do a very good job in the movie though.

-I'm glad Djimon Hounsou was nominated for In America. If anything, it keeps Jesse Jackson from protesting at the show. Although, I wish there were more performances by African-American actors/actresses that were Oscar-worthy.

-Johnny Depp finally gets an Oscar nom for his work in POTC (I'm not spelling out that long title). Johnny Depp is an actor I enjoy watching in part because he embraces the roles others wouldn't. So, here's to Edward Scissorhands, Icabod Crane, Gilbert Grape, and that snarky CIA agent in Once Upon A Time in Mexico.

-Although I haven't seen Lost in Translation, I hope Bill Murray is nominated because he's good and not because he's been snubbed over the years.

-It's probably Sean Penn's year to win, but he won't be there to enjoy it.

-Why is it that original songs by African-American artists are looked over? This doesn't necessarily apply to 2003 (as I wouldn't want "Shake Your Tailfeather" to be nominated), but that's bugged me for quite some time now.

-If Finding Nemo doesn't win Best Animated Feature, it will be the biggest Oscar upset of the year.

-With Brother Bearprobably not winning this year, and Home on The Range probably not winning next year, it seems as though Disney proper will never win a Best Animated Feature Oscar for its 2D animation. Damn shame that award wasn't around when Disney's animated movies were consistently good.

-No anime nominated this year...but they won't be able to deny Steam Boy, GITS: Innocence, or Howl's Moving Castle (the new film from Miyazaki). One of those three will get nominated next year.

-More comments later.

No comments:

Post a Comment