Saturday, October 25, 2008

New Anime Thoughts (Part One)

This is part one of a two-part post featuring my thoughts on a variety of new anime series that premiered this fall.

Toradora: I wasn't sure if I was going to like this show in part because the whole "bitchy girl who is sweet on the inside" thing kind of annoys me. However, this show actually puts a fresh spin on it and I actually enjoyed it. I liked the first episode but the second episode is what sold me on the show. I'm going to keep watching it.

Casshern Sins: This show has been a really nice surprise so far. Even though it's a dark show and outside the type of stuff I usually watch, it's very well done. I like the retro character designs, the beautiful backgrounds and dark color palette, and the nice animation. This could quietly be one of the best anime series airing this season.

Tales of The Abyss: Although I have never played the game, I am enjoying this fluffy action series. Watching it, I can see why this is a popular game (and why it got a TV series as opposed to the OVA series that Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Symphonia got). Even though there are times when it feels like a video game that's been animated (monsters popping out of nowhere for a battle scene), it's light entertainment.

Vampire Knight Guilty: I liked the first season of the show and I am liking this season so far. I have read up to volume 5 of the manga (following Viz's trades) and I kind of like how the anime has moved some events around.

Kuroshitsuji: This is probably the most intriguing of all the anime I've watched thus far. The first episode pulled off a tricky combination of humorous and serious tones along with some horror and hints of interesting mysteries and secrets to come. It reminds me a bit of the early episodes of the original Hellsing anime. This show has style to spare and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

This concludes part one of my fall 2008 anime thoughts. Look for thoughts on Tytania, Yozakura Quartet, Skip Beat, Earl and Fairy, Kannagi, and Kyou no Go no Ni TV in part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment