Saturday, November 03, 2007

Attempt NaNoWriMo Or No?

Last year, I decided to try doing National Novel Writing Month (a.k.a. NaNoWriMo). I did not get far. I don't think I even made it to 100 words. Of course, what I wrote was completely off the top of my head and I had no clear idea what I wanted to write. That probably contributed to me not reaching the finish line.

I have had a continuing urge to go back to creative writing for a good while now. It strikes whenever I watch a bad TV show or movie. It strikes when my family comments on my detailed (and sometimes quick) sense of humor. Unfortunately, the urge disappears only hours after appearing, only to re-emerge at some random time.

At this point in my writing life, nonfiction stuff comes so much easier than anything creative. Even though I sometimes spend hours agonizing over a review, I feel fulfilled when I write one and I enjoy it (and I feel kind of depressed when I write one that doesn't live up to what I want but that's another post).

Despite being more or less comfortable with blog posts, reviews, and the like, there is a part of me that will not rest until I write something long and creative that I am happy with.

I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to writing creative stuff. I self-edit like a madman and I can't get over the notion that what I initially write can kind of suck. It's one thing to edit a review as you create it since it's not going to be that long. However, once you start dealing with double-digit and possibly triple-digit pages, it's a big brick wall standing in the way of the promised land.

With NaNoWriMo 2007 already in progress, I wonder if I can get back into creative writing again. I think the key for me will be to do baby steps. Instead of attempting to write a novel in a month, I'm going to attempt to create smaller works over a longer period of time. I'll try my hand at some skits and maybe a short story or two. If I do that, maybe I can gradually get my groove back.

It has taken me almost four years (this blog's fourth anniversary is next month) to get to the semi-comfortable position I have with nonfiction posts. It was foolish of me to think that I could suddenly write decent fiction in just a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment