Tuesday, July 24, 2007

New CD Arrivals

I have gotten two new CDs and I’m really looking forward to reviewing them.

First, I went out and bought the 2-disc reissue of Jaylib’s Champion Sound album.

Since I didn’t get into J. Dilla’s indie stuff until after his death, I was happy to pick up this re-release.

The only thing that’s a little disappointing is that a couple of beats have been changed from the original release (“The Red” and “No Games”). From what I understand, some sample issues forced the changes. While the original beats are better, the new beats (likely provided by Madlib) are very good substitutes.

I haven’t checked out Disc two in full, but it’s pretty packed with stuff. I’m always a sucker for instrumentals and disc two has instrumentals of 15 of disc one’s tracks.

The other CD I received was my review copy of The Chemical Brothers’ new album We Are The Night. My first listen to it was a full one and so far, I like it. It seems to be a throwback to the techno of their first album.

One thing that I’ve always found kind of funny is how there is almost a distinct formula to many of their albums. You’re virtually guaranteed to hear the following:

  • A well-known English vocalist (Noel Gallagher, Richard Ashcroft)

  • A rapper (Q-Tip, Fatlip on the new release) or rapper sample (Missy Elliott, Schooly D)

  • A dreamy-voiced female singer (Beth Orton, Hope Sandoval)

  • A long opus (“The Sunshine Underground,” “The Private Psychedelic Reel”)


Despite this, I usually really like their stuff. I’ve bought every album since Dig Your Own Hole, which was the second electronic music album I ever bought (The Crystal Method’s Vegas was the first). I can’t wait to listen to their new album some more.

Look for my reviews of my new CDs soon, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment