Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A Pleasant Surprise From MTV

I don't know why they decided to do it, but MTV decided to air a block of Undressed tonight. For those who aren't familiar with it, Undressed was a racy, late-night soap opera that was a guilty pleasure for me back when it aired from 1999-2002. It featured multiple stories and they only lasted for a few episodes at most. The show featured a slew of young unknowns and semi-unknowns. Since I watch a lot of TV, I would often recognize former child stars in their first adult roles on the show.

Even though there was no nudity, this show was as daring as anything to air on basic cable (well, before the likes of Nip/Tuck anyway). Nothing was off-limits sexually. The episodes I'm watching right now have featured a guy who wants to get circumcised because his girlfriend thinks his stuff looks strange, a guy (with a gay roommate) who decides to contribute to a sperm bank to help pay off his debts, and a girl who alienates her friends by wanting to break their pact of virginity.

I miss the MTV of shows like this. Maybe them randomly showing Undressed is a hint that they want to bring that MTV back.

No comments:

Post a Comment