Wednesday, February 14, 2007

It's Black History Month...

...and I'm tapped out of good ideas for posts for this topic.

My posts for 2004 were negligible so we're going to skip those.

In 2005, I wrote one of my all-time favorite series of posts Things To Do For Black History Month. Even though the set of posts is two years old now, most of the things I mentioned are quite doable. Of course, you'll have to change “UPN Show” to “CW Monday Show” but still, you can do most everything even today.

In 2006, I only managed two posts for Black History Month and they couldn't be more different. The first one I did explored my feelings about the controversial (but great) Looney Tune “Coal Black And De Sebben Dwarfs.” In case you want to watch it (and other cartoons with outdated representations of black people), just put the search term “censored 11” into YouTube. Not only will you find “Coal Black” but you'll also find another pretty good (but somewhat offensive) cartoon from WB called “Uncle Tom's Bungalow” directed by Tex Avery. It's a funny cartoon that's less offensive (and less wild) than “Coal Black.” It's from 1937 and there are some choice gags here and there, especially a really un-PC one involving skin color.

The other post I did in 2006 focused on my time as a member of my church's African-American History Team. My time doing that helped me broaden my knowledge of black history, something I really wouldn't get the chance to do again until college. Things like this are great for kids to do so they can learn about people other than just Harriet Tubman, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and George Washington Carver.

Although I don't have a clue what to write about Black History Month this year, those of you who didn't read my blog back then can still find something about Black History Month to read about at this blog. Hopefully, I can think of something good to write about before the month ends but even if I don't, February isn't the only time to think about Black History. If it takes me until April to think of something good to write then it'll be posted in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment