Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Sterfish Shares: Christmas

This edition of Sterfish Shares is all about Christmas music. I love the holiday season and I love Christmas music. Here are a few Christmas songs, some classic and some contemporary, that I really enjoy:

First up, is the Christmas remix that caught my ear, Beef Wellington's remix of “Happy Holidays” by Bing Crosby from the first Christmas Remixed album. It's a really fun but respectful remix of this song that lasts just long enough.

Bing Crosby - “Happy Holidays (Beef Wellington Remix)” from Christmas Remixed

Next is a song from my favorite Christmas album ever, A Charlie Brown Christmas. I could've picked multiple songs but I settled on “Christmas Is Coming.” It's upbeat but still smooth and jazzy.

Vince Guaraldi Trio - “Christmas Is Coming” from A Charlie Brown Christmas

This year, I finally discovered the joy that is Phil Spector's famous A Christmas Gift For You. It's a wonderful album filled with versions of Christmas songs that I realized I had heard many times in movies and commercials over the years. Here's one of my favorite tracks from this album by The Ronettes.

The Ronettes - “Frosty The Snowman” from A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector

One of my favorite “traditional” Christmas songs is “Sleigh Ride.” I love hearing it played by a good symphonic band or orchestra. It doesn't really get much better than the Boston Pops Orchestra, does it? Here's one of their versions of this classic.

Boston Pops Orchestra - “Sleigh Ride” from Holiday Pops

The last track I bring to you is The Temptations' version of “Silent Night.” My sister first introduced me to this version and I must say that I like it too. The Temptations sort of do to “Silent Night” what Marvin Gaye did to “The Star Spangled Banner”...they made it unmistakably their own.

The Temptations - “Silent Night”

Hope you all enjoy this Christmas music and enjoy the holiday season!

...

Oh, here's one more track I couldn't keep to myself:

The Nat King Cole Trio - “All I Want For Christmas (Is My Two Front Teeth) (MJ Cole Remix)” from Merry Mixmas: Christmas Classics Remixed

No comments:

Post a Comment