Friday, June 02, 2006

Brief Movie Thoughts

We've been getting to the video store a bit more lately, so that means that I've been watching some more movies. As such, here are my brief thoughts on the movies I've watched.

-Cheaper By The Dozen 2 was better than I thought it was going to be. The trailers made the movie look awful but it ended up being pretty good. I liked that we got to see more of Piper Perabo's character and the subplot involving the preteen daughter was cute. Steve Martin, Bonnie Hunt, and Eugene Levy all turned in funny performances. One thing though...why did Hilary Duff look so bad in this movie?

-Fun With Dick And Jane (the Jim Carrey remake) was just that...fun. I liked Jim Carrey and Teá Leoni's chemistry and there are some funny scenes. However, something about it kept it from being a great Jim Carrey comedy like Liar Liar or The Mask. I wish I could figure out what it was.

-I finally saw Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and enjoyed it. This movie certainly had its issues. At times, it felt more like a game cutscene than a movie. However, the animation was very well done and the action and fight scenes were excellent. I am thinking about picking this up on DVD and if I do, I will probably write up a proper review.

-After watching The 40-Year-Old Virgin, I don't know why I hadn't rushed to see it sooner. Most of the hype put upon that movie was well-deserved. It's raunchy (but not mean-spirited) R-rated fun. I also enjoyed the other R-rated comedy of last summer, Wedding Crashers, but The 40-Year-Old Virgin is so much better than that movie. The 40-Year-Old Virgin is coming to HBO soon and it will probably be a movie I turn to again and again.

-Mr. And Mrs. Smith, another movie from last summer, was pretty enjoyable to watch on DVD. Watching this, it's no wonder that Brad and Angelina hooked up. They have incredible chemistry and hit the right note with their performances. This is another one that I'm looking forward to seeing on cable.

By the way, I have a ton of movies to watch that we rented including Oldboy, Kronk's New Groove, Family Guy: Stewie: The Untold Story, and Memoirs Of A Geisha. Another Brief Movie Thoughts post is likely forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment