Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Lack Of Creative Writing So Far

I have mentioned a few times that I plan to relaunch my creative writing blog sometime this Spring. Unfortunately, I have yet to actually finish some new fiction (or fiction-esque stuff) since I decided that I wanted to bring back that site.

I've had sort of a writer's block on fiction over the past year or so. I haven't really felt inspired to write skits or short stories. In fact, I'm a bit more inspired by the prospect of creating a podcast. Plus, my blog writings easily outpace my entire creative writing output. I've most certainly written enough blog posts to fill a book or two over the two-plus years I've been blogging but I am finding it difficult to write a short story.

What makes this a little sad for me is that I started out writing stories. I've been writing stories since I was six years old. I also started drawing comics around that age and I still do every so often. I started writing skits when I was in high school and it was in high school that I wrote my longest story to date, which tops out at about, oh, 10-12 pages. I never even considered doing nonfiction writing until I started blogging and, at the moment, it seems to be my forte.

This isn't to say that I've lost my creative mind. In fact, I think my creative strength is comedy. If you listen to a conversation between my sister and I (or even read an IM conversation), you will see my gag-filled mind at work. The two of us joke nonstop about various things. We have created tons of in-jokes and are especially adept at poking fun at celebrities and other figures.

My sister always tells me that I'm "wasting my talent" because I so frequently come up with jokes that only the two of us (and occasionally other family members) get to enjoy. I told her that we should hash out a screenplay one day. After all, Napoleon Dynamite was written by a brother/sister duo. Maybe we'll do that one day.

You know what always seems to inspire me even though the inspiration is always temporary? Walking into Borders and looking around. Every time I do that, it makes me feel like I could be a published author. After all, if those numerous authors lining the shelves of that bookstore can do it, why not me?

2 comments:

  1. Sterfish
    I am a regular reader (see also: Lurker) of your blog and I read this post and I think you gots talent. I completely understand that whole not producing up to par thing. I have called myself a writer since I was in the sixth grade but I never really do any writing for years at a time.
    So, like I have been doing with a lot of people in my life, I am being your cheerleader: Get up and write man, doesn’t matter what it is, just write what makes you feel good. Post it online and I promise to read whatever it is.
    And listen to your sister, she loves you, she knows you, and she really believes in you. People don’t just believe in you because they’re family, they believe in you because they see how talented you are when you are blinded by your own self doubt. In many ways the two delusions (Sisterly confidence/self doubt) are similar but one is productive and the other is destructive in the way it chips away at your soul.
    So, I know you don’t know me from Adam, but I support you, and your drive to write something. 2006 can be your year, So go at it man,
    You have at least one fan out there.
    And with that I take my leave.
    I have been accused of leaving super-long responses. And I fear I have struck again
    Ritch,
    ps. yes Samone it was cheesy, but if you can't be cheesy, sappy, silly with family, then who can you be all those things with? gotta be an outlet for those honest emotions no matter how vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sterling,

    I'm glad to see another writer with optimism. I try to not even think about getting published when I write a first draft. I just write for myself. Then, I let it sit for awhile and come back to it. I read it again and think "Will other people get this the way I do? What can I change to get them feeling what I feel?"

    Just from reading this post, I can tell you are on your way up. Don't let anything or anyone hold you back, man.

    ReplyDelete