Friday, January 06, 2006

Problems With Opinion Coordination

On Thursday, I read a very interesting post by fellow Blog Critic gypsyman entitled "Writing And Blogging: Not Necessarily The Same Thing." After I read the article, I decided that I wanted to post a comment with my thoughts on the issues addressed. However, for the life of me, I had one hell of a time getting together my thoughts in the way I wanted. Since I had to get ready for work, my thought processes on the article were stopped in their tracks. I thought about revisiting them when I got back from work and left my web browser open. When I came back home, I closed the page and decided not to comment.

This is an example of something that gets to me every so often. I think of something I want to say and I start attempting to put it into words but eventually, I become frustrated because I can't figure out how to say it in the way I want to say it. It's not exactly writer's block because I always think of that as when you just are completely drained of anything to write about...even an idea. However, my little writing affliction is almost as bad as writer's block. Every time I start something and can't get my thoughts together, it's like the manifestation of wasted potential. A potentially great post will now never see the light of day because my dumb ass couldn't put together some sentences in a good way. The sad thing about this is that it applies to damn near everything of any purpose that I write.

The one thing I wonder about when it comes to this "affliction" is whether or not my "high standards" are the reason for it. Frankly, when it comes to writing, I hate to settle. I want the things I write to be as close to good, great, or airtight as I can make them. Few things frustrate me more than not feeling that I've done something as well as I can do it. If it's not up to my internal standards, I'm disappointed in it and I am surprised when someone thinks it's good.

I guess I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than I should. Everyone has stuff they can't or don't finish. Also, it just might be for the best that I don't finish everything I write. In hindsight, I realize that some of the thoughts I couldn't quite get together were far from the pearls I thought they were.

Oh, and remember when I mentioned writer's block? This post actually cured the case I had. If I had finished that damn comment, I wouldn't have anything new to post on my blog.

1 comment:

  1. Some issues are so huge, you can't just read and then bam your thoughts are coherent and on the page. Very very very few people can do this; very few columns are completed this way.

    The solution, in my mind at least, is to offer a few of the choicest bits from your internal ruminations. That way at least you've done something, and it usually focuses your thinking just a little - and then you can always come back later.

    I didn't write there for very close to the same reason as a matter of fact. There was just too much to sa. I wanted it to be worthwhile and because it is important to me I wanted that to come across. So in this case, I didn't write.

    (I've always saide blogging isn't anything but writing - but the physical entity of it is different - links, formatting, immediate comments at end, though many newspapers have had that on their Web sites for many many years.)

    But often I will take my own advice and just offer a little something to be part of the discussion. A little something more than "good job" that is.

    ReplyDelete