Monday, January 30, 2006

Black History Month 2006

Last February, I did a monthlong series entitled Things To Do For Black History Month that gave a variety of ideas for things to see, do, read, and watch. That was the first time I ever attempted something of that magnitude.

Now, February is almost upon us again and I have been trying to figure out what I would do to commemorate Black History Month this year. I decided not to do another edition of Things To Do For Black History Month if only because I almost ran out of stuff for the first edition. I thought about doing something with famous black historical figures, but I don't really have the time to do the research for something like that.

Ultimately, I decided to do something a bit different from what I did last year. This year, I will do a series of posts related solely to African-Americans and entertainment. Since much of my blog deals with entertainment/pop culture, it only seemed natural to do something like this. I hope to do a variety of posts including reviews, personal essays, and critical essays. The posts will deal with both the contemporary and the classic. I plan to talk about music, TV, movies, animation, as well as the world of entertainment in general. I want to offer fresh takes on these topics and go beyond clichés. While some of these posts will appear elsewhere, all of them will be published here first.

Ideally, this would be a set of daily posts just like last year. However, let me say that this isn't a guarantee. Last year, I was unemployed and I had more time on my hands. This year, I'm working and that means that there might be a day or two between posts. Also, these posts won't be the only things I'll be writing in February. I'll still have regular posts including another installment (or two) of The Yoko Kanno Reviews, more Random Digital Pics, and other assorted stuff.

I probably won't be blogging for the next couple of days as I work on something else that I won't reveal until it's finished. It's something pretty big and I'm honored to have been invited to do it. I will be putting my creative energy into that for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment