Friday, October 28, 2005

The Chicago White Sox: World Series Champions!

-I'm still a little bit on Cloud Nine after the Chicago White Sox's World Series win. I've always liked the Sox, but I never imagined that not only would they win the World Series, but that they would end up winning in such a dramatic and dominating fashion. In Chicago, the White Sox have always been an underdog to the more popular Chicago Cubs (or at least since I have been born). Even with the Sox in the World Series, the rivalry between Cubs and Sox fans still ran rampant. My sister told me that while at college, she saw Cubs shirts that said it all: "Why not us?"

-One thing that has intrigued me about the White Sox's World Series win is that on more than one level, it's a triumph of multiculturalism. The team is probably one of baseball's most diverse, with white, black, Latino, and Asian players. The manager (Ozzie Guillen) is a Latin immigrant, the general manager (Kenny Williams) is black, and the owner (Jerry Reinsdorf) is white. In a year where Major League Baseball has gotten criticism about the lack of black players (I have heard that only 9 percent of baseball players are black), a black player from the Sox (Jermaine Dye) won the World Series MVP award. To top all this off, the Sox beat a team that is probably one of the least diverse in the big leagues (and one that, as far as I know, has not one black player). And it's all the better to find that these diverse people played as a true team as opposed to a group of overpaid and overrated personalities.

-Finally, let me share with you how the White Sox indirectly helped me get more money. I had to work the night of Game 4 of the World Series. Our store had already gotten a boost from the White Sox being in the postseason with all the sales of American League Champion merchandise (and everything White Sox). However, we knew that things would get hectic if they won. The plan was to reopen the store as soon as the game was over (if they won) and start selling World Series Champions merchandise until 2:00 a.m. Since they won, that was exactly what happened. I didn't want to stay to 2:00 a.m. because I had been at work since 2:00 p.m. that afternoon. Wednesday was actually the last day I was scheduled to work this week. I left at my assigned time that night...but due to the White Sox's win and the fact that our store was going to need all the help it could get, I was able to get more hours on Thursday. In fact, we ended up being so busy on Thursday, that I was able to work for two more hours than I was supposed to that day. So, thanks to the White Sox winning the World Series and the hunger for World Series merchandise, I was able to work for more hours than I was scheduled for and more hours equals more money in my pocket. So, on behalf of all employees and owners of stores that sell White Sox merchandise in the Chicagoland area, I'd like to thank the Chicago White Sox for helping all of us out.

No comments:

Post a Comment