Monday, August 01, 2005

29 Years And Counting...

Yesterday, July 31st, was my parents' wedding anniversary. They got married back in 1976, so they've been married for 29 years now. My parents first met when they were in high school. They got together while they were still in high school and have been together ever since. It's funny how their personalities are different but they have certain things in common. My mom is more of a realist (or pessimist) than my dad. Her biggest worries deal primarily with money and the various problems with our house. My dad is more of an optimist than my mom. He always has a "things will work out" attitude for the most part. Each of them have their hobbies. My mom loves to read. She especially loves romance novels. She's also a bit of a movie buff. Unless the movie's a scary movie (or contains a lot of violence), chances are that my mom will watch it. My dad is into science fiction movies and TV shows. He records the Sci-Fi Channel's Friday lineup every week. He also is a firm believer that aliens exist.

Both my parents love music. My dad has a massive record collection that includes hundreds of LPs and 45s. Both of them are pretty open-minded when it comes to music. My mom routinely watches music videos with me and my sister while my dad likes artists like 50 Cent and 2Pac. Another thing they have in common is a very good sense of humor. My dad's jokes tend to be pretty corny but clever at the same time. For example, when J-Kwon's song "Tipsy" was popular, he joked that Pepsi should use it for an ad campaign where instead of "Everybody in the club get tipsy" it would be "Everybody in the club drink Pepsi." My mom's humor is more about making fun of people (and it's a little off-kilter compared to my dad's).

Somehow they have lasted 29 years when many couples can't last two years. I can't wait to be there when they reach year 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment