Monday, June 13, 2005

You Never Know Who Is Reading Your Blog

I sometimes get comments or e-mails from people about the posts I write. Usually, they come from friends and family, a fellow blogger, or the random person who somehow finds my blog. However, I received an e-mail recently that truly surprised me.

On Saturday, I received an e-mail from Fred Goss, the creator/executive producer of the upcoming ABC comedy Sons & Daughters. The show is on ABC's slate of midseason shows for the 2005-2006 TV season. His e-mail was in response to a less-than-favorable comment I made about the show in this post, which was one of the Fall Lineup Frenzy posts where I gave my initial reaction to the new shows/schedules for the upcoming season (based only on the descriptions in the press releases).

Now you can see why that particular e-mail surprised me.

In my response, I thanked him for e-mailing me, said that my thoughts were only meant to represent my first reaction to what I read and told him that I hoped that my reaction ended up being wrong.

He sent me a very nice reply:

Sterling-

My partner Nick Holly and I hate sit-coms. We set out to try and redefine what a network half hour comedy could be. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. We haven't re-invented the wheel, it's just realistic acting, partially improvised dialogue...not jokey. I enjoyed your blog (until you mentioned our show : ) ) Keep it up. I love reading the views of people still enthused and avidly watching television for all the right reasons.

Fred


Well Fred, if you happen to read this, thank you for the encouraging words. I hope you will check out my blog again in the future. The fall TV season isn't that far away...

Overall, this experience is one that makes me want to continue to work hard on this blog (and my other projects). Who knows where this blog (or my creative writing blog) could lead me? Regardless of what happens, though, there is nothing better for a blogger (or any writer) than knowing someone is reading and enjoying what you are writing.

In the meantime, I encourage everyone to keep an eye out for Sons & Daughters. I know I'll be watching when it premieres.

No comments:

Post a Comment