Saturday, May 07, 2005

Mixmania Fun: The Other Mixes

First off, I have to give a big thanks for the props my mix has gotten from Jim of Patriside and Betsy of My Whim Is Law. And in return, I'm going to give props to the mixes that seem really interesting to me.

The one thing I've noticed about all the song lists I've read is that they really are quite eclectic. Some songs and artists do repeat like, oddly enough, Belle & Sebastian. However, I've found that a lot of the songs on the mixes are ones that I simply have never heard before.

Jim's mix sounds intriguing with M.I.A. (an artist I would like to hear some from), Cornershop (the only songs I know from them is "Brim Full Of Asha"-the original and Fatboy Slim's remix), and Asian Dub Foundation (I have a remix of Talvin Singh's song "Traveller" that is great). Betsy has a couple of great songs ("Hurt" by Johnny Cash and "Karma Police" by Radiohead) and some that need hearing ("Son Of A Preacher Man" by Joan Osborne??). The mix at Not All That Wander Are Lost has three songs I really like, one of which is Thievery Corporation's "Lebanese Blonde" (which is also on the mix of Purple Goddess In Frog Pajamas). I wonder if it's in English (like on the album) or French (like on the MP3 I found when I first heard the song). The mix at Feministe has not one song I've ever heard before in my life. Ever. The same can be said of the mix at Screw You Guys, I'm Going Home. Meanwhile, Avenir mixes some good hip-hop in with some hard rocking stuff and other songs. Yay for including a pre-Stankonia OutKast song. And the mix from Because I'm Your Father would seriously school me on the group XTC, a group that I have never heard a song from.

I would've been happy to receive any of the mixes from the participants. All of us are exposing each other to interesting music we might not have heard otherwise. And speaking of which, I received my Mixmania CD in the mail today...

No comments:

Post a Comment