Friday, May 13, 2005

The Mixmania CD

About a week ago, I received a mix CD as a part of Mixmania from the person behind A Peek Into My Insanity. Now, I'm about to give my thoughts on the CD. This song list is interesting to me because it contains some genres and artists that I am not exactly a fan of. However, the mix isn't bad at all. Here's my song-by-song review:

1. Dave Matthews Band- The Dreaming Tree
I'm not a fan of Dave Matthews Band. I'll never forget hearing their album Crash about 30 times over the course of one summer working at my high school's bookstore. That soured me on them. This song, however, is not that bad. Selected instrumental portions of this song are really nice and the lyrics are pretty good.

2. Everclear- Heroin Girl
I remember liking some of Everclear's songs during the 90's, but this is the hardest that I've ever heard them. I have never heard a full album from them, so I didn't know they had it in them. Honestly, I can take or leave this song.

3. Big and Rich- Holy Water
I've never been a fan of country music. However, I've been kind of gradually warming up to it over the past few years. I've liked a couple of songs here and there like "Portland, Oregon" by Loretta Lynn feat. Jack White and the fun "Redneck Woman" by Gretchen Wilson. I watched Tim McGraw's most recent TV concert with my mom and sister. And I even kind of enjoyed Big and Rich's performance at halftime of the 2005 NBA All-Star Game. So, I approached this song (and the other couple of country songs) with a little openness. This song wasn't exactly what I expected but it definitely wasn't bad.

4. Jimmy Buffett- Mother Ocean
I've heard some Jimmy Buffett before and I don't have a real positive or negative feeling about his music. It is what it is, although I had to pause the CD player when he said "I have been drunk now for over two weeks." All I could think about was how strong a liver this man had to have.

5. Kenny Chesney- The Woman With You
I find it fitting that not too long after I hear this song, it's announced that Kenny and Renee Zellweger have gotten married. The song is really sweet, so I wonder if he recorded it before or after he started his relationship with Renee.

6. Ludacris- Number One Spot
I really enjoyed this particular selection. This is one of the best songs off Ludacris's album Red Light District. There are so many wonderful and funny references throughout this song (I cracked up at the Dora The Explorer line) and this song represents Luda at his best...when he's lyrical, clever, and witty.

7. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes- I Want You To Want Me
I first heard this song when Paul was my roommate in college. It's actually a fun song and became even funnier because I recently heard the original version on the MUZAK while I was at work. This version is so much better.

8. Montgomery Gentry- Hell Yeah
The music in this song sounds pretty good and shows just how much I don't know about country music.

9. Musiq Soulchild- Don't Change
Musiq is a really good R&B artist and this song is one of his better ones. It was a nice surprise to hear it on this CD.

10. Nelly ft Tim McGraw- Over and Over
Tim McGraw went up in my book when he did this. Hip-hop and country seem like mortal enemies. Yet, this collaboration between Nelly and Tim McGraw actually worked. Yes, Nelly was in poppy, "singing" mode for this song, but it was pretty good. It also made me think of Bubba Sparkxxx's underrated sophomore album Deliverance. That album featured an interesting mix of hip-hop with country elements ("Comin' Round" is very good).

11. The Von Bondies- C'mon C'mon
I came to like this song because when I downloaded it, it was mislabeled as a Franz Ferdinand song for some reason. I don't know why I like this song but I do.

12. Sublime- April 29, 1992
You know, I'm kind of surprised that I don't own any music by Sublime. I haven't disliked any song I've heard by them and that includes this one. I wonder what great music they might have produced had the lead singer not passed away.

13. Third Eye Blind- God of Wine
I don't normally like Third Eye Blind's music, which made it surprising that I liked this song. The music itself reminded me of The Bends-era Radiohead a little bit (I bet a Radiohead fan just spit out his/her drink).

14. Verve Pipe- The Freshman
Whatever happened to this group? I remember this song, but I don't really have a particular fondness for it.

15. Matchbox 20- Long Day
I kind of like Matchbox 20. I like a couple of their songs and I like Rob Thomas's current solo single. I hadn't heard this particular song before but it wasn't bad.

16. Kevin Fowler- Ain't Drinking Anymore
Now this is what I think when I think of country music but I did sort of enjoy the goofiness of it all. Him and Jimmy Buffett need to meet. 20 bucks says that Buffett would drink him under the table.

17. Ron White- Lug Nut Day
This is a really cool way to end the CD. I'm mad I didn't think of it first. This could spark a Mixmania of its own. Imagine swapping CDs with your favorite comedy bits on them, exposing others to funny comedians they may not have heard or to the large amount of hilarious audio clips out there on the web. You haven't lived until you hear the late Colonel Sanders utterly screw up the taping of a simple radio commercial. But I digress...this was funny. This is my favorite line in this clip:

(Stuck-up brother) "I can't believe you didn't buy a Mercedes Benz." (Ron) "They don't make a van."


So, what's the verdict on the CD? Surprising. There were songs by artists I didn't like that were good. There were country songs that opened my eyes a little more to the depth of the genre. Sure, I could take or leave a couple of the songs, but no one is expected to like everything. I wouldn't have taken part in Mixmania if I expected to mostly hear stuff I knew I enjoyed. I'm glad I took part and I'm glad I got what may be the only CD in the bunch to contain any country music. Thanks seeingdouble for the CD. I hope you enjoy the CD you receive from whoever sent it to you. And thanks Jim for this cool little online/offline adventure. I hope I'll be able to participate in the next Mixmania.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you at least enjoyed some it the songs on there. Funny, I expected Ludacris to go over poorly, but I couldn't resist adding it. Out of our Mixmania group I didn't expect to see hip-hop fans. Since I have toddlers, the Dora reference gets me every time. :)

    ReplyDelete