Friday, March 18, 2005

Job Hunt Update

Well, I had my two interviews on Thursday. The first one, at 8:30 a.m., was at Sports Authority. That interview went very well. I was not very nervous at all and the interview itself was pretty relaxed. The interviewer seemed optimistic about my chances at getting the job. What makes it better is that they were looking for someone for the daytime...which is exactly what I was looking for. I initially had a followup interview on Friday but it had to be rescheduled. The new date is Tuesday at 11 a.m.

After that interview, I went home and changed into "cruddy" clothes for my weekly Workfare shift at the food pantry. Just like last Thursday, it was a physically tiring day. I found out that the food pantry gets about 20,000 pounds of food each week. They got a little less yesterday because of a visit by the Township big wigs that was supposed to happen on Friday. After gettting the two truckloads of food, checking it all in, weighing some of it (the bread, meat, and vegetables), and putting it away, we had to sweep, mop, and straighten up shelves. All in all, I was quite tired by the end of the workday. I am extremely thankful that I get next week off. I don't have to go back until the 31st.

When I got home from Workfare, I worked extremely quickly to get ready for my Borders interview. I washed up, ate a rudimentary sandwich, brushed my teeth, and changed into nice clothes within 15 minutes. I then rushed out to the car where my dad and I took the expressway to the store.

My interview with Borders went well. For that interview, I had to bring my resume along with two professional references. The interview made Borders all the more attractive place for me to work. There is a nice employee discount and you get free coffee and tea while on duty. I was one of the many people the interviewer had already seen, although she did seem to be impressed by my resume. They are supposed to call me back within a week or two.

No matter what happens, I am very happy with this chain of events. After months and months of nothing coming together, I have two positions that I could get. I might actually have a choice of jobs. I'm hopeful but also cautious. I don't want to get too happy or too eager. I've had interviews that lead nowhere before (Best Buy) and a job that ended prematurely (my stint working at The Jackson Foundation). But if things work out, it would be the perfect time. My mom's unemployment has officially run out. So, all of you out there...friends and family, fellow bloggers, the readers of this blog on the web or RSS...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment