Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Things To Do For Black History Month Addendum: Disney's Song of The South Is Headed To DVD!

Well, hell has frozen over for Disney fans. According to JimHillMedia.com, Song of The South will be coming to DVD in the Fall of 2006.

I didn't bring up Song of The South in my black cartoons post, but let me say that I don't really have a problem with this movie being released. In fact, I've actually seen it...but I really don't remember it. I saw it when I was very young, when it was last released. The article states that Disney will release it with a lot of extra content intended to put the film in historical context. They even want a prominent black celebrity to host the film (similar to the way Roy Disney hosted the release of Fantasia).

Even if the film turns out to be worse than people remember, I am looking forward to seeing it. It should be seen at the very least as a historical document. It's a rare animated adaptation of the Brer Rabbit tales and it features Hattie McDaniel, the first African-American to win an Oscar. So, in 17 or 18 months, I hope to be talking about this film again after seeing it for the first time in nearly 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment