Friday, December 31, 2004

I Guess Ron Chartreuse Didn't Sound Cool Enough

I watched Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy for the first time a couple of nights back. Auntee rented it (it was the Unrated version) and brought it by our house. This movie reminded me of Dodgeball in that it's incredibly silly and over-the-top. If you're looking for a hilarious satire of newsrooms of the 1970s...this isn't it. However, I enjoyed the performances from all involved. Christina Applegate hasn't been funnier since the Married With Children days. My favorite character was Brick (played by Daily Show veteran Steve Carrell). His uninformed lines (like yelling "Loud Noises!" during an argument scene) stole the show. The cameo appearances (by the likes of Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughan, Tim Robbins and Jack Black) were very funny too. It was interesting to hear the voice of Bill Kurtis as the narrator of the film, since I'm old enough to remember when he was still a news anchor in Chicago (before he left and became an A&E staple). Anchorman is goofy, silly, and at times very funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment