Sunday, December 05, 2004

The Holidays Should Be Fun...Not Creepy

I don't know what it is about the advertising of The Gap and Old Navy, but they have two extremes. Either they are fun and appealing or borderline creepy. The current Gap Holiday campaign is fun and appealing. The commercials with Sarah Jessica Parker, Josh Duhamel, Mary J. Blige, and JC Chasez are cute. The Old Navy Holiday campaign is on the borderline creepy side. I mean, I'd be frightened if a multicultural group of unnaturally cute adults and kids suddenly appeared and started caroling about Old Navy's products. The people who are assaulted by the group don't look pleasantly surprised by their appearance but rather somewhat disturbed. I bet if that person tried to leave, the group would pop up in front of him/her again singing another Old Navy-related carolesque tune:

"Old Navy sells gift cards too/Fa-la-la-la-la..."

I hope SNL or Mad TV makes fun of these commercials sometime soon. There's a hilarious parody waiting to be written. Maybe I should write it...

No comments:

Post a Comment