Sunday, October 24, 2004

I Know What I Said But...

In my last post, I said that I wouldn't post again until my jury duty was over. But, I had to break that promise for this...

Our house was vandalized AGAIN. You might remember that a rock was thrown through my window less than a month ago. Now, someone shot a bebe through one of our front windows earlier tonight. It happened about an hour earlier than the last time (in the 7:00 hour) and like last time, Mom and I were in the living room (where the front windows are). Fortunately, it only went through the front storm window and not through the other pane. When it happened, it sounded like a small rock hit the window, not unlike the noise you might hear on a windy day. Only when my mom checked the window did we notice that it was cracked. I'm not entirely sure it was a bebe, but I think so because the hole was a perfect little circle.

Talking to the policeman who came to look at the damage, it's apparent that this is not uncommon. The policeman himself told my dad and I about his own windows being broken. Despite the fact that this is the second time something like this has happened in a month, I'm not convinced that it's meant to intimidate or as a warning. Our family has no beef with anyone in our neighborhood. We're not community activists nor do any of us have anything to do with gangs or drugs. So, if the same person did this stuff to our house and they have an axe to grind with us, then we have no clue what it could possibly be. Maybe it's as my dad and the police officer talked about, how CHA residents are being forced out of projects and into our area. I hate to think like that, but the implications of that are definitely a concern among people in my area. Well, hopefully, I won't be writing another post like this for a looong time.

In the meantime, barring another vandalism attempt or something else bad, I won't post again until my jury duty is up. Then, I'll spill many of the beans about the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment