Tuesday, September 21, 2004

The Jackson, MS Chronicles: From Jackson to Chicago

At about 6-something Sunday morning, I woke up and got ready for the trek back home to Chicago. I took a shower, got dressed, and packed my suitcase. Around 7-something, Chenelle and my uncle arrived to pick us up. I made sure I had everything and then closed the door.

After saying our goodbyes, Auntee and I went into the Jackson airport. I again went through security screenings (which were really fast since the airport was virtually empty) and again had to take my shoes off. Damn metal eyelets.

Just like when we arrived, our first flight was on a smaller plane than the second one. In fact, they were exactly the same types of planes as the original flights. I was a little used to flying by the time the first flight started and it wasn't too bad. I was able to be kind of comfortable during the flight and even read some of the book that I brought. After a little over two hours, we landed in Detroit.

Chenelle and my uncle told us their horror stories about the Detroit airport the night before. Chenelle told us about how she got stranded for 12 hours in that airport while on her way home to Seattle. She was 17 at the time. My uncle told us how his baggage was roughed up when he went through Detroit. They both said that the airport was bad and "ghetto."

Boy, how much Detroit has changed...at least its airport, anyway.

The terminal we were in was gorgeous, massive, and modern. There were tons of restaurants and stores. Huge video screens were all over the place, showing the CNN Airport Network. Similar to O'Hare, it had a nice hallway area with soothing flashing lights. However, these lights were behind planes of decorated glass. The multicolored lights made the glass glow beautifully, and there was even music to accompany them. The concourse that contained our departure gate was very very long. So long, in fact, that an express tram ran along the top of the terminal to help people get to the more farflung gates. Detroit is a major hub for Northwest Airlines and it shows. This was easily the nicest terminal and airport I have ever been in.

We left Detroit on a larger plane than the one we arrived on. The flight was shortest of the four we went on total, at only about an hour. In a fun example of time zones, we arrived in Chicago just seven minutes "later" than we left Detroit because of the difference between the Eastern and Central time zones. Despite the flight being on a larger plane, it was the scariest flight for me since the first departure flight. The plane had to do many turns to get to Midway. And true to its nickname, we encountered more wind as we got into Chicago. Needless to say that I was extraordinarily relieved to get to Midway, and I said thank you to the crew as I left the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment