Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Freezing...In The Middle of Summer?

No, I’m not talking about the unusually cool temperatures this month (and I’m certainly not hating on that). I’m talking about the rude awakening I got Tuesday morning when I put my foot into the bathtub. I ran my water then found out that we had no hot water. Apparently, the gas company cut us off. Of course, they always make sure to cut you off (if you owe anything) before it gets cold outside. I loaned my dad some money to pay it off, but they won’t be able to come out to turn it back on until Friday. So, we will have to survive for a few days with no hot water. Considering that over the course of this year we have had brief stints with no electricity, no water, a messed up sump pump, and that we have a screwed-up toliet, surviving with no hot water will be a "breeze".

In the meantime, some of the screwed up things in our house should be getting replaced or repaired soon. My aunt is buying our family a new stove and refrigerator. They are already paid for, and we should be getting them by the end of the month. For more than two years, we’ve been without a stove in the kitchen (only an electric skillet and the old gas stove in the basement), so that will be very welcome. Our refrigerator still works, but it leaks like crazy. The bottom of it has lots of water and we have to routinely put in and replace newspaper so that we can still use that part of it. Also, my dad found a person that does a variety of repairs for a lot less than your traditional repair person. He did work for my grandmother (and very well), so we will be using him to repair many of our plumbing and electrical woes. Among the things he will eventually repair: the pipes on all our sinks, the drain in our tub, a couple of light switches, a new electrical outlet (for the new stove we are getting) and arguably too many other things to list.

My sister has a busy few days ahead of her. She leaves for Northern Illinois University next Thursday (the 19th). Between now and the time she leaves, she will be getting new glasses, clothes and other items, a new Social Security card, her license and her state ID. I bet she’s having a lot of the same feelings I had of anxiety and anticipation upon going to college. I know she’ll be fine, though. She has a good head on her shoulders

No comments:

Post a Comment