Monday, July 12, 2004

The Past Few Days Part II: Everything Else

Compared to the family visit, everything else pales in comparison. That visit took up much of our time, so it left little for anything else. It was especially true for me with my almost completely nocturnal sleep schedule.

-I’ve always wanted more people to check out my blog, but I’d never imagine that something I wrote would get a magazine to ask me some questions. I received an e-mail from an editor of Cableworld magazine in reference to an earlier post in which I mentioned the new channels that Comcast added to our system. It turned out that she was looking for information on Comcast’s new Digital Sports Tier (since I mentioned that our house was going to receive it). I gladly responded with what info I could. It’s quite humbling to see that something you wrote could help someone else out or catch someone’s eye. I don’t really think my blog stands out that much and I don’t know who (apart from a couple of friends and my sister) actually takes the time to read it. But I will keep doing what I am doing because I enjoy doing it, whether five people read it or five hundred.

-Speaking of Comcast, our cable continues to change. On July 7th, the Music Choice channels (which feature music with some info about the artists) changed somewhat. They all got a nice new look. In addition, some formats were changed and some new channels were added. The New Wave channel is now called Retro-Active. The Power Rock channel is now Arena Rock. We got the following brand-new channels: R&B Hits, 90s, and Radio Disney. Also, the guide now shows TV ratings for the channels (like TV-G for Radio Disney). Channels that are uncensored (like the Rap and Electronica channels) are clearly marked as such. It’s a nice little upgrade that adds more variety to what we have.

Also, a channel that my mom has wanted for a while, Do-It-Yourself Network (DIY) is coming to our system in August. The same day it does, the channel number for Discovery Kids changes.

My Aunt Tina told us that they too have Comcast Digital Cable back in Seattle, but they have On-Demand service available. On-Demand is when you can watch content whenever you want and have the ability to pause shows. Our area doesn’t have that yet, nor does the city of Chicago. I wonder if (and when) that service will come to our area.

-On Sunday, I gave my speech to the graduates at my church. It’s been a long time coming, as I was asked to do the speech months in advance. Mrs. Griffin, a woman who I knew from doing the African-American History Team at my church, asked me to do it. She’s also part of the various things for college students and graduates. She’s a very nice person, and I can credit her with helping me get better in public speaking. I didn’t spend as much time writing the speech as you would think. It all basically came out one night and I made little changes to it. It was only a few minutes long, but given that it preceded the day’s sermon, that’s all it needed to be. There weren’t that many people in church as it was the second Sunday and the pastor was in Italy working with my cousin Cheryl. However, I got praised by many of the church members for my speech and my grandmother Ella, who was in attendance, was very happy.

Honestly, I’m not very sure how long my church will be my church home. I’ve been there my whole life (and much of my dad’s side of the family are members), but at times I’m a little disillusioned with it. It’s an old-fashioned church. By old-fashioned I don’t mean in looks. This is a church where they will let you in if you wear jeans and gymshoes to service, but they might talk about you behind your back. My dad told me about when he last went to church (before my speech) that a fellow usher (my dad’s ushered in church for as long as I can remember) talked very badly to some young people who weren’t dressed up in church.

Mind you, this type of thing doesn’t represent the church as a whole. People normally are very nice. In fact, on Sunday, I met an actor who has appeared in movies like Under Siege, The Fugitive, and Original Gangstaz who goes to the church whenever he has a Sunday off. However, I think the church does not exactly speak to my beliefs, especially my political ones. I won’t be running off to the church of Reverend Meeks (who used to be the pastor of my church). As good a preacher as he is, his beliefs are too conservative for me. He is not exactly tolerant of homosexuals and he is borderline chauvinistic at times in his views of women. In fact, I don’t know what church I would go to instead of my current church, Beth Eden Baptist Church. I’m not even sure if I want to change my denomination. All I know is that I am definitely a Christian who has pretty liberal views. I’ve thought about going non-denominational, but that seems kind of like a copout to me. Once I get a job, get myself on my feet, and become a little more independent, I’ll probably be able to figure out my place in the spiritual pantheon. But in the meantime, I’ll keep praying and keep going to church on occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment