Wednesday, May 05, 2004

-Well, our family got some bad news today. My mom will be losing her job. The daycare center where she works will be closing its doors in August. Her boss knew about three weeks earlier and the employees were told just today. Obviously the company knows nothing of timing, seeing as they are telling a primarily female workforce that they will lose their jobs in the days before Mother’s Day.

At least there is reason to be cautiously optimistic, though. We have months to prepare and help my mom find a new job. She will still get paid every week all the way until late August. Hopefully, I’ll be able to help out a little bit as I should be employed before then. Our family has survived my dad changing jobs a few times and a bad roof that had us on edge every time it rained for years before we eventually got it fixed. We will certainly survive this.

-On a different note, I’ve accepted the invitation to give a short speech to graduates at my church. I don’t give the speech until the second Sunday of July (July 11th), so I have plenty of time to write it. Although I’m not sure if it will be really encouraging if by the time I give the speech, I don’t have a job. “This is what’s waiting for you graduates, a screwed-up economy where people can’t get employment! Stay in school!”

No comments:

Post a Comment