Thursday, May 27, 2004

It’s Only The First And It Won’t Be The Last

After getting my hair cut as well as getting some new dress pants and a new belt the day before, I went to Mutual of Omaha for my interview on Wednesday. My dad dropped me off at the office and I waited for my interview with the general manager. I was sent to an office to wait and fill out some required information. After a little while, the manager came in and showed me a short video on a laptop computer.

When he returned, it didn’t take long for the interview to end. He asked if I had a car, which would be required of the position as an insurance agent. Not only do I not have a car of my own but I also can’t afford to get one. Thus, that was the end of that. We talked a bit, and he explained the nature of the job. We shook hands and he apologized for wasting my time and I sat in the waiting area and paged my dad.

One thing that the guy told me that resonated a bit is that I needed a “job as opposed to a career.” I think that makes sense. I want to work and earn some money, plain and simple. I’m not too picky on the type of job. If I could find a job working at a store, I’d probably take it. But, honestly, I don’t know what career I would want right now. I’d like to work in a communication field, but I don’t know if I really want to do that for the rest of my life.

Another thing that got me was basically the implication that one cannot work unless they have a car. As I was walking out of the non-interview, I met another person working at the office. The manager explained my situation and then the man asked me “How do you get around?” Part of me wanted to say to him that many people go to work without using cars. I’ve ridden the L many times, and it’s amazing to see the amount of people who take the CTA to get to their places of employment. Then again, maybe that man’s never had to do that.

I’m not letting this “setback” get me down, though. For one thing, I received a postcard in the mail from First Midwest Bank telling me that they are looking through resumes and I will get contacted if they are interested in me. Also, I registered with Illinois Skills Match, which matches jobs with the skills and experience you put in. I have to register with this first, before I decide if I want to file for unemployment. Also, I’ll probably be back in Evanston sometime before the end of the week so I can pick up the DVDs and CDs that I let NU Anime borrow. If I see some openings, I can apply at some places. Besides, I’ve traveled by train to work in Evanston five days a week before, and I can do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment