Thursday, May 27, 2004

America Proved Me Wrong!

So, the third American Idol is........Fantasia Barrino! I certainly didn’t think that she would win. I outlined my reasons in an earlier post, but there are two reasons I thought she wouldn’t win. First, I thought that a black person wouldn’t win American Idol two years in a row. The other reason was because not only did I think America wouldn’t vote for a black person again, I didn’t think they’d vote for a black single mother, regardless of how good she was. I guess I was wrong on both counts. That could be considered a good thing, but just because you “win” doesn’t mean that you win.

Just to remind everyone...Clay Aiken is the highest selling American Idol artist. Despite Ruben being crowned last year’s winner, Clay got more publicity and promotion...plus his album was released before Ruben’s. Sadly, the same thing could happen to Fantasia. She might get upstaged by Diana, despite winning the competition. Diana might be marketed more since she’s a “cute” 16-year-old non-black Southern girl with a big voice. Hell, Fantasia might be upstaged by LaToya London, who many thought should’ve really won in the first place. It was funny to see that Fantasia looked down for much of what I saw of the finale. She really thought she was going to lose...or maybe she knew that she would be shafted, whether or not she won.

No comments:

Post a Comment