Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Show of Support and more

On Tuesday, my dad and I went with my aunt (the same one who took me to see Dawn of The Dead) as she went for outpatient surgery. The procedure took about an hour and a half and she had to spend some time in a recovery room before she could leave. She also has to rest for about a day before going back to work, so she’s staying with us. The procedure took place at a hospital near Old Orchard (which is about as far away as Northwestern). The day itself was tiring for everyone involved (most for my aunt, of course) since we left my house a little after 9:30 in the morning and came back just before 5:30 in the evening. In addition, my dad had to leave for a while and take care of some business, which meant that he had to drive all the way home and then drive all the way back to pick me and my aunt up to take us home. However, everything seemed to go well, so I’m happy about that.

Switching gears a bit, I’ve heard Janet Jackson’s new album, Damita Jo. How did I hear it? If you know me, you know how. Anyway, having listened to it I can say that it’s better than her last album. It has more of an R & B feel to it. I remember hearing this album described (pre-Nipplegate) as her most sexual album. I didn’t think so until I heard the tag team of songs known as “Warmth” and “Moist.” The first song has Janet singing about giving a guy a blowjob. The second song has her singing about getting...well, moist. Before hearing those songs, I wondered how the album got a Parental Advisory sticker. I believe these two songs are the sole reason it has one. I can’t wait for word to get around about these two songs, especially “Warmth.” Will guys get seduced by Janet all over again or will they be repulsed? And how many people will shudder at the thought of imagining Jermaine Dupri being on the receiving end of that song?

I have another issue with an ad regarding black people...and this one is a keeper. A commercial for V8 has Savion Glover tap-dancing his way through a room, happy as can be. When he sits down, it’s revealed that it wasn’t Savion Glover, but an older white man who has just drunk a V8. Apparently, drinking V8 makes white people so energetic, they become black and they have rhythm! Wow! I don’t know what’s worse, the idea that a drink could make a white person black, the idea that white people have no energy or rhythm by themselves, the fact that all black people have energy and rhythm...okay, I could go on for a while. But compared to the black man named Sam in the UPS commercial, or the ad for Hot Salt featuring a black man eating chicken, I’m at a loss for words on how to really think about it. But I’d kill to see a white punk rocker start moshing then it’s revealed to be a black person who drank SoBe or something like that.

Today’s Thing I Wish I Hadn’t Missed: Lil’ Jon doing an impression of Dave Chappelle’s impression of him on TRL.

I wonder if General Hospital feels left out, what with All My Children and One Life to Live getting all buddy buddy. Then again, GH is the one that’s the most consistently entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment