Saturday, January 31, 2004

"You Got Served" comments

Okay, I know I just told what I thought about the movie, but these are comments on the movie itself. SPOILER WARNING!! Don't read if you don't want this movie spoiled for you.

-Once I saw the logo for the movie, I immediately thought it should've been direct-to-video. At least it cost more than House Party 4.

-Chris Stokes (the director of this movie) is about as subtle as a hammer. When they kept showing that one member of Elgin & David's crew after he objected to the money arrangement, it was very obvious he was going to switch sides.

-The white crew would have to steal the other crew's moves a la Bring It On. Here's my question...will there ever be a movie where blacks actually steal something from whites?

-My sister noted that this movie had lots of black cliches: dancing, basketball, drug dealers, a ghetto grandma, and a random appearance by a rapper (Lil' Kim in this case).

-The person who played Emerald, the drug dealer, had to be the least intimidating big, fat drug dealer I've ever seen. Big Worm was more menacing than this guy.

-How old were the people in these crews supposed to be? All they did was play basketball, dance, and be at home...no school and no jobs. The younger sister supposedly attended school and worked in a hospital. So, I guess they must be trust fund kids or somethin'.

-My sister also noted how they tried to ghetto-up the looks of the B2K members. Omarion's hair was in two large braids as opposed to the meticulously done cornrows he normally has. Lil' Fizz's hair was bushier than usual. The other two looked ghetto enough...I guess.

-How they gonna name the white guy from Orange County Wade and then have Wade Robson appear in the movie?

-How much did they pay Steve Harvey to be in this movie? He really just phoned it in.

-Why the hell did Elgin and David practice dancing in the rain? Apart from giving the teenage girl fanbase some eyecandy I mean.

-The sound effects from when Elgin gets his ass kicked and when David punches Elgin sounded like they came from a cartoon.

-If you want to get some emotional impact from killing off a little kid, you don't do it offscreen.

-Seeing this movie, you can see the signs that B2K was going to break up. Omarion and Marques Houston are the main characters. The other 3 members don't get many lines at all, especially poor Lil' Fizz.

-Black grandmothers in movies either are overly nice or overly mean. There's no inbetween. Neither of my grandmothers would give me $1500 to engage in a danceoff with some rich kids, but they aren't mean either.

-I'm glad Chris Stokes actually moved the camera a little bit this time. If you've ever seen one of his videos, you know that most of them are basically people singing the song or dancing on 2-3 different sets or scenarios and that the camera almost never moves.

-I know this will probably be the number one movie in America. Judging from the crowd at the 1:20 pm matinee my sister and I attended, it could do pretty well. I only wish the movie deserved to make that much money. Well, at least it'll probably break even the first week.

No comments:

Post a Comment