Monday, December 29, 2003

Pass That Blog, Pass That Blog

I neglected to mention that I watched "Jeepers Creepers 2" recently. It's one silly little horror movie. The Creeper reminds me of a combination of Alien and a wordless Freddy Kreuger (who looks just a little bit country with that scarecrow hat on its head). You could tell that this movie could only be scary to those with extremely weak stomachs and those who have never seen a horror film before. When the Creeper winked at the frightened teenagers on the bus, I couldn't stop laughing.

Now what scared me more than that movie were the home videos my aunt and uncle brought over. Among the horrors to be seen: Two different Christmases--one where we actually videotaped us playing Bingo and another which features my aunt and my sister playing with a doll and three teddy bears for over 15 minutes. It also included my cousin Phillip's repeated attempts to not be in the camera, and a bizarre improvised bit called Strange Conversations where my sister, my cousin and I interviewed each other. We each played different characters including a man with no head and the weird stuck-up wannabe Englishman I played. I know one thing...if I ever become famous, there's plenty of embarassing footage that could come out.

I started taking a look at the DVDs I have. My sister and I watched some of the cartoons on the Looney Tunes Golden Collection and had a ball. The video is really nice and the cartoons are still funny, even after the umpteenth time. We watched 2 of the classic Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck/Elmer Fudd cartoons, a rarely seen (and very funny) cartoon featuring the actual Gambling bug, and the great cartoon "Feed The Kitty," a cartoon that is paid homage to in the movie "Monsters, Inc."

I took a look at my DVD of "The Work of Michel Gondry" and I must say he is an unbelievably creative video director. I was floored by one video I had never seen--"Sugar Water" by Cibo Matto--that is a headtrip in a good way. The screen is divided up into two sections, each focusing in one of the girls in this duo. The left side is going forwards while the right side is going backwards. Each girl goes through their routine on each side. In the middle of the video, the situation reverses as the girls switch sides. The girl who was going forwards goes backwards and vice versa. The video ends exactly where it began, but reverse from where it started. Simply amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment