Tuesday, June 05, 2007

It's Anime Thoughts Time!

With summer here and the normal TV season done, I've been catching up on some anime watching.

Hayate no Gotoku (Hayate The Combat Butler) is hilarious. I watched the first episode and enjoyed it quite a bit. Then again, when a show actually features the words “Combat Butler” in the title, it's destined to be funny. The thing I liked most was the way the show broke the fourth wall. Those types of gags always get me. This looks to be a really fun show and I can't wait to watch more.

Darker Than Black seems to be tailor-made for anime fans. It's from Studio Bones (Wolf's Rain, Full Metal Alchemist). It's got a cool hero who wears a black trenchcoat. It has music by Yoko Kanno. Fortunately, all of that wasn't wasted on a show that sucks. So far, this show seems pretty interesting. Like Hayate no Gotoku, I have only watched one episode. However, that one ep definitely makes me want to watch the rest.

One show I was kind of surprised I liked was Ookiku Furikabutte (or Oofuri for short). It's a sports show (baseball) and those can be hit-and-miss. However, I have enjoyed what I have watched so far. This doesn't seem like your typical sports anime (at least not yet). It's a bit more relationship-driven, especially in the way the main characters (the pitcher and catcher) relate to each other. Yes, it screams “OTP!” but that helps set the show apart. There is a little more here than “We're going to try to win!”

That's it for my anime thoughts this time around. I'm going to take a look at Reborn and Guren Lagaan soon and probably write about those as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment