Sunday, January 07, 2007

What A Way To Start The Year

2007 seemed like it was going to start like every other year until very early Thursday morning. My stomach was in bad shape late night Wednesday/early Thursday and I thought it was another case of me eating too much in a given day. Instead, it ended up being a lot worse.

I got diarrhea that steadily got worse. I started throwing up at nearly regular intervals (and I hadn't thrown up once in 2006!). My stomach never felt any better and I hovered between the bed and the bathroom nearly all day Thursday. I had to call off work for only the second time at my current job. When it got to the point where I was trying to throw up and there was nothing in my stomach, my mom suggested I go to the hospital.

For the first time that I can remember, I went to the emergency room. I got an IV of fluids and medicine for my nausea. I was there for a few hours and eventually got discharged. I then spent Friday recovering (I still had diarrhea) and had to call off work again.

Now, I'm feeling better although I'm a little worried that the bug I'm fighting hasn't disappeared quite yet. My mom ended up catching a bug similar to mine, although it fortunately didn't affect her as badly. All told, it was not exactly the best weekend for me.

One interesting thing to note is that my sickness was only one of three big things that happened on Thursday. The rental car my family was using since our car finally kicked the bucket was vandalized. Somebody threw a rock and broke out the back window. Since we had insurance, we were okay. Then, later that day, we actually made a deal for a new car, a 2006 Kia Optima that we officially got on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment