Tuesday, November 14, 2006

There's More To Black Cartoons Than "Coal Black"

I found out via Cartoon Brew that ReFrederator.com is featuring a week of cartoons dealing with racial stereotypes. Dubbed “Black Comedy Week,” this event features Emru Townsend of the great fps Magazine as guest blogger and producer.

I have to admit that as a black animation fan, it's really odd to watch older cartoons with these racial stereotypes. There is a part of me that is fascinated by the way people back then felt about black people and part of me that wonders if there is any redeeming quality at all to these cartoons apart from historical value. I touched on these feelings back in February when I wrote about “Coal Black And De Sebben Dwarfs” and they certainly came back when I found out about Black Comedy Week.

If you are a classic cartoon fan or someone who is interested in the history of blacks in entertainment, I encourage you to check out this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment