Monday, April 18, 2005

Working Man

It seems like forever since I've posted anything. The main reason is that I've been working and my schedule can sometimes change at the drop of a hat. For example, I wasn't scheduled to work on Saturday, but I got a call from my supervisor asking me to come in for a couple of hours. When I actually got the message, I had put the only black polo shirts I have into the washing machine. I had to wear my black T-shirt for the first time.

Overall, things at work are going well. I had a "bad" day last week where I got the customer the wrong item (a heavy bench at that), left a sensor on a product the customer bought, and mistook a $20 for a $10 at the register. However, I heard from my supervisor that management likes my performance thus far. Plus...I got my first paycheck! It's the first time I've gotten a real paycheck in damn near two years! I've met most of the people who work in the store and they know me. It is a pretty laidback environment and not too high stress. I think I'm getting better in dealing with customers. I've sold things like Ab Lounges, ankle weights, pedometers, weight benches, and even (most likely) a treadmill. I know I should be a bit pushier with customers, but I know from my experience as a customer that there is a fine line between being helpful and being annoying. I remember an experience at Best Buy where one guy asked if I needed help about two or three times in a very short span. It wouldn't have bugged me so much if it was a white guy asking because as a black male (even an unassuming one), I kind of expect the worst when I walk into some stores. However, this was another black male who kept asking if I needed help with things. I know Best Buy like the back of my hand, so it actually annoyed me that he kept asking. As such, when I approach customers, I try not to overdo it. After my initial greeting, I try to give them a little space to look and then return to help them out.

In the meantime, I'm hoping I can make sure my blogging doesn't get too sporadic. It's a little harder to sit down and write these days because I've been tired. I've got a favorite blogs post in the pipeline and I hope to pick up a CD with the money from my first paycheck. I don't know which one yet, but I'm leaning towards Since We Last Spoke by RJD2, Madvillainy by Madvillain, Push The Button by The Chemical Brothers, and The Beautiful Struggle by Talib Kweli. Also, I might try to see Kung Fu Hustle when it comes out this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment