Sunday, April 10, 2005

An Early Start

On Friday, I expected to have a pretty lazy day. I was going to some washing, burn some CD backups, and sleep in, especially since I foolishly stayed up into the morning. However, that all changed when I checked the voicemail after my mom was on the phone. I got a call from the job asking me to come in. I called them back and ended up negotiating hours from 2-7 p.m.

Overall, my very first day on the sales floor was not that bad. It basically consisted of me walking around and seeing if customers needed help. I'd try to help them best I can and when I didn't help them, I was doing recovery (fixing up shelves, restocking, etc.). Most of the customers I dealt with were parents with kids who were trying to find baseball stuff for them. I did very well on my Baseball and Softball equipment tests during training, so I had to put that knowledge to good use.

There is one thing that I will have to get used to while working at Sports Authority--being on my feet all day long. For some reason or another, I didn't take the 10-minute break that I could have had because of the number of hours I worked. That meant I was on my feet for five hours straight. By the time I got off work, I didn't want to so much as even have my feet on the floor. Apart from that, the work is not very hard and as long as I'm polite, observant, and helpful, I should do well. In the meantime, I will be working again at my actual scheduled time of Saturday evening 4-7 p.m. I'm not scheduled to go back to work until Tuesday when I work from 12-7 p.m. (you better believe I'm taking my break that day) and I work my first real night shift on Wednesday as I start work at 6 p.m. and go all the way until closing.

All in all, this job is starting to work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment